The Hannover Re Foundation (hereinafter: "we") takes the protection of your personal data seriously and would like to inform you as data subject in accordance with Art. 4 No. 1 of the EU General Data Protection Regulation (Regulation (EU) 2016/679; hereinafter: "GDPR") below.
This data protection notice has a modular structure. It consists of a general part for all processing of personal data and processing situations (A. General) and a special part, the content of which only relates to the processing situation specified there, in particular the use of websites (B. Use of website).
1. Name and address of the controller
We are the controller of your personal data within the meaning of Art. 4 No. 7 GDPR:
Hannover Rück Stiftung Karl-Wiechert-Alle 50 D-30625 Hannover
For further information, please refer to the imprint details on our website.
2. Legal basis for data processing(s)
In principle, any processing of personal data is prohibited by law and only permitted if the data processing falls under one of the following justifications:
- Art. 6 (1) (a) GDPR ("consent"): Where the data subject has voluntarily, in an informed manner and unambiguously indicated by a statement or other unambiguous affirmative act that he or she consents to the processing of personal data relating to him or her for one or more specified purposes;
- Art. 6 (1) (b) GDPR: If the processing is necessary for the performance of a contract to which the data subject is party or for the implementation of pre-contractual measures taken at the request of the data subject;
- Art. 6 (1) (c) GDPR: If processing is necessary for compliance with a legal obligation to which the controller is subject (e.g. a legal obligation to keep records);
- Art. 6 (1) (d) GDPR: If the processing is necessary to protect the vital interests of the data subject or another natural person;
- Art. 6 (1) (e) GDPR: Where processing is necessary for the performance of a task carried out in the public interest or in the exercise of official authority vested in the controller, or
- Art. 6 (1) (f) GDPR ("legitimate interests"): Where processing is necessary for the purposes of legitimate (in particular legal or economic) interests of the controller or a third party, unless such interests are overridden by the conflicting interests or rights of the data subject (in particular where the data subject is a minor).
The storage of information in the end-user's terminal equipment or access to information already stored in the terminal equipment is only permitted if it is covered by one of the following justifications:
- Section 25 (1) of the Teleservices Data Protection Act ("TTDSG"): If the end user has consented on the basis of clear and comprehensive information. Consent must be given pursuant to Art. 6 (1) (a) GDPR;
- Section 25 (2) no. 1 TTDSG: If the sole purpose is to carry out the transmission of a message via a public telecommunications network or
- Section 25 (2) no. 2 TTDSG: If the storage or access is absolutely necessary so that the provider of a telemedia service can provide a telemedia service expressly requested by the user.
For the processing operations carried out by us, we indicate below the applicable legal basis in each case. A processing operation may also be based on several legal bases.
3. Data deletion and storage period
For the processing operations carried out by us, we indicate below in each case how long the data will be stored by us and when it will be deleted or restricted of processing. If no explicit storage period is specified below, your personal data will be deleted or restricted of processing as soon as the purpose or legal basis for the storage no longer applies.
However, storage may take place beyond the specified time in the event of a (threatened) legal dispute with you or other legal proceedings or if storage is provided for by statutory regulations to which we are subject as the responsible party (e.g. NStiftG, § 147 AO). If the storage period prescribed by the legal regulations expires, the personal data will restricted of processing or deleted unless further storage by us is necessary and there is a legal basis for this.
4. Data security
We use appropriate technical and organisational security measures to protect your data against accidental or intentional manipulation, partial or complete loss, destruction or against unauthorised access by third parties (e.g. TSL encryption for our website), taking into account the state of the art, implementation costs and the nature, scope, context and purpose of the processing, as well as the existing risks of a data breach (including its probability and impact) for the data subject. Our security measures are continuously improved in line with technological developments.
We will be happy to provide you with more information on request.
5. Conditions for the transfer of personal data to third countries
If we transfer personal data to companies/service providers and/or authorities outside the European Economic Area (EEA), the transfer will only take place if the third country has been confirmed by the EU Commission to have an adequate level of data protection, if other adequate data protection guarantees (e.g. EU standard contractual clauses) are in place or if, in individual cases, exceptional circumstances allow the transfer to third countries. You can request detailed information on this and on the level of data protection at our service providers in third countries using the contact information above.
6. No automated decision making (including profiling)
We do not intend to use any personal data collected from you for any automated decision making process (including profiling).
7. No obligation to provide personal data
There is no legal obligation to provide personal data when visiting our website.
8. Your rights
You can exercise your rights regarding your processed personal data at any time by contacting us using the contact details above. You have the right as a data subject:
- In accordance with Art. 15 GDPR, you may request information about your data processed by us. In particular, you can request information about the processing purposes, the category of data, the categories of recipients to whom your data has been or will be disclosed, the planned storage period, the existence of a right to rectification, erasure, restriction of processing or objection, the existence of a right of complaint, the origin of your data if it has not been collected by us, as well as the existence of automated decision-making including profiling and, if applicable, meaningful information about its details;
- In accordance with Art. 16 GDPR, you have the right to demand the correction of incorrect data or the completion of your data stored by us without delay;
- In accordance with Art. 17 GDPR, you may request the deletion of your data stored by us, unless the processing is necessary for the exercise of the right to freedom of expression and information, for compliance with a legal obligation, for reasons of public interest or for the assertion, exercise or defence of legal claims;
- In accordance with Art. 18 GDPR, you may request the restriction of the processing of your data if the accuracy of the data is disputed by you or the processing is unlawful;
- Pursuant to Art. 20 GDPR, you have the right to receive your data that you have provided to us in a structured, common and machine-readable format or to request that it be transferred to another controller ("data portability");
- You have the right to object to processing in accordance with Art. 21 GDPR if the processing is based on Art. 6 (1) (e) or (f) GDPR. This is particularly the case if the processing is not necessary for the performance of a contract with you. Unless it is an objection to direct marketing, when exercising such an objection, we ask you to explain the reasons why we should not process your data as we have done. In the event of your justified objection, we will review the merits of the case and either cease or adapt the data processing or show you our compelling legitimate grounds for continuing the processing;
- Pursuant to Art. 7 (3) GDPR, you have the right to revoke your consent - i.e. your voluntary, informed and unambiguous declaration or other unambiguous affirmative action that you agree to the processing of the personal data in question for one or more specific purposes - at any time if you have given such consent. This has the consequence that we may no longer continue the data processing based on this consent in the future, and
- In accordance with Art. 77 GDPR, you have the right to lodge a complaint about our processing of your personal data with a data protection supervisory authority, such as the data protection supervisory authority responsible for us: Die Landesbeauftragte für den Datenschutz Niedersachsen Prinzenstr. 5 30159 Hannover Germany Phone: +49 511 120-4500 Internet: www.lfd.niedersachsen.de
(13) Changes to the data protection notice
In the context of the further development of data protection law as well as technological or organisational changes, our data protection information is regularly checked for the need to adapt or supplement it. You will be informed of any changes in particular on our website at foundation.hannover-re.com. This data protection notice is valid as of July 2023.
B. Visiting websites
(1) Personal data processed
During the informative use of the websites, the following categories of personal data are collected, stored and processed by us:
"Log data": When you visit our websites, a so-called log data record (so-called server log files) is stored temporarily and anonymously on our web server. This consists of:
- the page from which the page was requested (so-called referrer URL).
- the name and URL of the requested page,
- the date and time of the call,
- the description of the type, language and version of the web browser used.
- the IP address of the requesting computer, which is shortened in such a way that a personal reference can no longer be established,
- the amount of data transferred,
- the operating system
- the message whether the call was successful (access status/http status code).
- the GMT time zone difference
(2) Purpose and legal basis of the data processing
We process the personal data described in more detail above in accordance with the provisions of the GDPR, the other relevant data protection regulations and only to the extent necessary. Insofar as the processing of personal data is based on Art. 6 (1) (f) GDPR, the aforementioned purposes also represent our legitimate interests.
The processing of the log data serves statistical purposes and the improvement of the quality of our website, in particular the stability and security of the connection (legal basis is Art. 6 (1) (a) or (f) GDPR).
If the processing of personal data requires the storage of information in your terminal equipment or access to information already stored in the terminal equipment, Section 25 (1), (2) TTDSG is the legal basis for this.
(3) Duration of the data processing
Your data will only be processed for as long as is necessary to achieve the above-mentioned processing purposes; for this purpose, the legal bases stated in the context of the processing purposes apply accordingly. Regarding the use and storage duration of cookies, please refer to the information in our Consent Management Tool.
(4) Transfer of personal data to third parties; justification basis
The following categories of recipients, which are usually processors, may have access to your personal data:
- service providers for the operation of our website and the processing of data stored or transmitted by the systems (e.g. for data centre services, payment processing, IT security). The legal basis for the transfer is then Art. 6 (1) (b) or (f) GDPR, insofar as it does not involve order processors;
- Provider of our consent management tool: Usercentrics GmbH, Sendlingerstr. 7, 80331 Munich. We transmit personal data (consent data) to Usercentrics. Consent data means the following data: Date and time of visit or consent / refusal, device information. The data is processed for the purpose of compliance with legal obligations (obligation to provide evidence pursuant to Art. 7 (1) DSGVO as well as Art. 5 (2) DSGVO) and the associated documentation of consents and thus on the basis of Art. 6 (1) f) DSGVO ("legitimate interest" in the legally required documentation). Local storage is used to store the data. The consent data is stored for 1 year. Further information on the collected data and contact options can be found at https://usercentrics.com/privacy-policy.
- Government agencies/authorities, insofar as this is necessary for the fulfilment of a legal obligation. The legal basis for the disclosure is then Art. 6 (1) (c) GDPR;
- Persons appointed to carry out our foundation purpose (e.g. auditors, banks, insurance companies, legal advisors, supervisory authorities, parties involved in company acquisitions or the establishment of joint ventures), members of the Hannover Re Group or operators of communication and collaboration applications. The legal basis for the disclosure is then Art. 6 (1) (b) or (f) GDPR.
Furthermore, we will only pass on your personal data to third parties if you have given your express consent to do so in accordance with Art. 6 (1) (a) GDPR.
Cookies can contain data that make it possible to recognise the device used. In some cases, however, cookies only contain information on certain settings that are not personally identifiable.
A distinction is made between session cookies, which are deleted as soon as you close your browser, and permanent cookies, which are stored beyond the individual session. With regard to their function, a distinction is made between cookies:
- Technical cookies: these cookies are mandatory to move around the website, use basic functions and ensure the security of the website; they do not collect information about you for marketing purposes nor do they store which web pages you have visited;
- Performance cookies: these cookies collect information about how you use our website, which pages you visit and, for example, whether errors occur during website use; they do not collect information that could identify you - all information collected is anonymous and is only used to improve our website and find out what interests our users.